Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope the summer has been good to you and that you have found time to enjoy a slower pace with family and friends. For as long as I’ve been in the field of education, summer days have been a gift that I try not to take for granted. I treasure the snippets of time I was able to carve out this summer with my family.
As usual, July and August are extremely busy months in the district, and this summer has been no different. One emphasis has been in the area of technology where I have reorganized the district technology department and we have focused on several projects across the district. An enormous Thank You to Vlad Akim and Stephen Silbert who have led the work and accomplished so much in such a short period of time. Below are some highlights:
SPS Technology Dept Reorganization:
- IT Manager – Vlad Akim
- Senior Technology Specialist – Stephen Silbert
- .5 Tech Specialist – Still to be hired (1.0 split with the town)
- .5 Data and Instructional Technology Administrator & .5 Asst Principal – Lytania Mackey Knowles
- Technology/Digital Integration Specialist – Still to be hired
- The high school Wi-Fi project is almost 100% complete
- As part of this project, we will be opening a GUEST account for community members to use on their devices while in the building
- The SMART Board project K-8 is completed
- The Wi-Fi project in 7th & 8th grade wing of the middle school is near completion
- The High School Language Lab is up and running again with upgraded system software and language software
- Exploring and pursuing transitioning from FirstClass to Google
On Monday, August 29th, faculty and staff will be meeting for our Professional Development day with a continued focus on Mental Health as it remains the number one priority of our District Strategy. In addition, we will revisit our A.L.I.C.E. training (http://www.alicetraining.com/) of last year with the afternoon spent running drills with a variety of scenarios.
Thank you for your continued support and for the opportunity to continue to build a district that creates the finest educational opportunities for our children.
Follow us on Twitter @sps01907